Wassup

We haven't met yet! Register to start writing screenplays online.

TheDrau

on 04/21/2012

Newb

So this looks like fun. I have absolutely no experience with screenwriting. The closest I can come to that is scripting for comic books, but life is for new experiences and I ain't dead yet! Since I typically have a million and one springboards fluttering around in my noggin I thought it might be fun to see what would happen if I threw a few at this particular wall, and see what sticks. Anyone want to help set my foot on that path?

JamesHammer

on 05/15/2012

Well, it's been a few weeks since you asked... and honestly, it's been a few months since I've spent much time on the site.

What I CAN tell you is to start with some brainstorming... make lists, draw pictures, create web associations... however you do that process. Put your thoughts on paper without making any initial judgments, then go back and look at what's there once the dust has settled.

Cross out what you don't like... move through a selection process that is shaped by where you would like to take the story. Keep what you think would work, and toss what doesn't. Fill in details where you have an interesting idea and see what develops.

Move this process toward creating an outline of your story. I would suggest having either a complete outline or a complete list of scene content BEFORE you really start writing. Too often writers get started with an idea, but have no idea where they want to take it. Answer those questions before you start, because if you don't, your tendency will be to get to a roadblock and give up.

If you want to work collaboratively, get with your other writers and sort these things out before anyone writes anything more than a few ideas. Make sure everyone is on the same page, understands where the story is going, and what the expectations are for being involved in the project... what can they expect from you/what can you expect from them.

That's just a few ideas that come to mind initially. Anyone else is free to add to the conversation...

繁體中文 | Deutsch | English | Español | Français | suomi | עברית | Italiano | 日本語 | Nederlands | Pirate | Polski | Português | русском | Svenska |