Hi Stranger!

We haven't met yet! Register to start writing screenplays online.

Danvok

on 12/07/2012

Action Screenplay! Collaborators wanted!

I'm looking to create an outline and then a screenplay for an action movie completely by collaboration. I'm still a beginning screenwriter but I'm learning fast and am willing to put work into it. This project is completely new and untouched, and anybody is welcome to come on board! I'm not expecting it to get made or anything but I believe it'll be a worthwhile learning experience for us all and, plus, it'll be a lot of fun!

I'm looking for a good team to work with and if all goes well maybe we can work together more in the future.

jellybean

on 12/08/2012

Hi Danvok, I visited your page, thinking that you sort of had something in mind. I'd say you would need to start with a basic plot. Who is, or who are your protagonists, and what will his / her / their basic journey be about? That information is a must as part of any outline, or really, prior to any outline of the involved scenes of the journey. I'd be glad to try to help, but need something more to go on.

I'm seeing (above) an action, suspense, thriller type of screenplay. Hum . . . what would you use as a base? A murder? A kidnapping? International spying? Theft of some secret document? A race to find some historic treasure? Something other? How would your protagonist(s) tie into the primary action that will take place?

You probably know that most really good stories mock life, but with exaggerated events. For example, I recently found on the internet, a supposedly true account of a man who invented something that would have dramatically altered modern life (for the better), and soon after contracting with a certain class of investors ended up dead - presumably murdered. It left my mind working overtime with the possibilities for a fictional story along those lines. Who might want such an inventor out of the way? Perhaps someone who stood to loose millions, even billions, if his invention caused their own to become useless to the general population. And what if some unfortunate soul, maybe a caring relative of the inventor, stumbled onto some evidence that his death was a murder, no accident, and they began to dig deeper for the truth, all the while edging closer to danger themselves?

Not sure if that's the sort of thing you had in mind. If not, maybe it will at least help you progress towards whatever you do have in mind.

Danvok

Edited on 12/09/2012. Posted on 12/08/2012.

I've taken your advice and I've gotten a log-line! I think it's enough to garnish your interest, and we can play up the different P.O.V's in the story.

Here it is: An important data-sensitive hard-drive goes missing across the Mexican border. Due to mounting CIA pressures, a team of mercenary contractors are hired to trace the data and its thieves, across South America. On their journey, they discover that they themselves are involved in a moral dilemma, as they begin to discover the truth behind what they've been sent to look for.

Plus, I really liked your idea about the inventor! I'd love to work on something like that. Let me know what you're thinking!

Akkum

on 12/09/2012

I think I might help

jellybean

on 12/09/2012

Yes, now you've got an idea rolling. Very doable. I like it. Time to begin to "flesh it out". The best way I know to help you do that - because the imagination is yours - I'm basically your sounding board and feedback for this much - is to ask you questions that help you dig deeper into your knowledge about your story.

That said, even if an author never includes every detail he knows about his story in his script, HE still must know those details himself. You have probably heard, countless times, that an aspiring author should keep a journal and write in it every day. Yet no one that I have ever encountered explained WHY that journal should be kept. But one main reason is so simple it's almost absurd in concept. Events happen in our lives and we can document the details of those events, and what outcome, or personal growth resulted from them - lessons learned. The growth events of make-believe characters are no different. Basically, a fictional story is their personal journal. Real lives are filled with obstacles that we overcome, or conflicts that we battle on some level - natural shyness verses first time infatuation, for example. A decent author will learn his character's obstacles or conflicts, physical and emotional, in order to tell that character's story at its best.

So, a data-sensitive hard-drive is missing. Who created the data, and why? What did become of the hard-drive? Where did the hard-drive originate from? How and why does it end up in Mexico? Who is pressuring the CIA? Why? What would happen if the data, presumably in the wrong hands, was put to use?

You'll need to better explain "mercenary contractors" to me, (I'm not familiar with the term). Why does the CIA contract them? They have specific skills needed? They would not be such an obvious tail? I see further into your logline that the data is in the hands of thieves. What do the thieves want from the data? Information itself? Money for selling to the highest bidder? To double-cross two different bidders?

Moral dilemma is generally a great aspect to include in a story. It will need to be decided, exactly what that moral dilemma is, and how it will be resolved. What truth will the protagonists discover that forces them to a moral choice?

I hope these questions give some additional fuel for focus. Again, I will try to be as much help as I am able to your project. But, I have read often enough, that one should write about what they know about, and there is wisdom in that. For example, I've been as far as where Texas borders with Mexico, so know little about Mexico itself. I have no real idea of how the CIA operates, nor of who all would apply pressure to such an agency.

The other side to sticking to writing about what one knows about, is that it is usually possible to learn whatever one wants to know about. Reading and research are such awesome tools!!! I love the internet.

One person will need to serve as master mind for this story, and as its inventor that would be you. Others can bounce ideas around with you, but someone has to make final decisions. For example, how many will be in your team of protagonists? What are their individual personalities? Who tends to lead the group, and by what qualification(s) is he / she looked up to by other members? And by the CIA?

Again, I hope this gives you some base questions to work with. Feel free to give me feedback, even if you disagree with anything I've suggested. My effort is to help you get your mental wheels turning for this project, because you have an idea of what you're looking to create.

Danvok

Edited on 12/09/2012. Posted on 12/09/2012.

Ok thanks! I think I'll get an outline going in rough form that better outlines all the questions you've asked and then show it to you.

Thanks again!

P.S. The CIA would hire mercenaries/contractors so they, technically, wouldn't have to take the hit if an operation fails. Even though they are paying them this can usually be kept in silence.

jellybean

on 12/09/2012

You're welcome, Danvok. Did you also notice that another member, Akkum, might be interested in helping? Great! The more minds involved, the better the imagination. Geeze, you gotta love the brave CIA, no? Thanks for explaining. Yeah, either post your outline here, or email me a copy at: [email protected]

Danvok

Edited on 12/09/2012. Posted on 12/09/2012.

Yes, I did notice Akkum may be willing to help. I added him to my contacts.

Will do!

jellybean

on 12/09/2012

Danvok, where this thread is getting kind of long, I left a comment at your screenplay site. Feel free to delete it once you are done with it.

Akkum

on 12/09/2012

I will be willing to help

Danvok

on 12/11/2012

Join the project Akkum.

繁體中文 | Deutsch | English | Español | Français | suomi | עברית | Italiano | 日本語 | Nederlands | Pirate | Polski | Português | русском | Svenska |