¡Oye Stranger!

We haven't met yet! Register to start writing screenplays online.

brad

Edited on 03/11/2009. Posted on 03/11/2009.

Update to our editor

Most recent reply from FabeMan, on 05/23/2009.

We've completely rewritten our screenwriting application to make it much easier to use.

We hope you'll find it much closer to a desktop writing experience while maintaining all of the great collaborative features that we've developed.

We now have full support for standard screenwriting shortcuts (ENTER to create a new element, TAB to change element types), support for 'shot' and 'transition' element types, and character typeahead. We're testing screenplay import now and will release it soon.

This is a really big change--and we hope we've responded to a number of the requests for improvements that we've received.

Please let us know what you think!

kazanski13

on 03/11/2009

It appears you deleted the ability to branch scenes. I lost a scene because of this. any way to get it back?

aallrich

on 03/11/2009

Looks great! The workflow, the breakdown on the page, the element additions (shot, transition) are all excellent improvements.

vendettachrncls

on 03/11/2009

It's little confusing for me, over all I think it's ok, still trying to get use to where everything is.

brad

Edited on 03/11/2009. Posted on 03/11/2009.

@kazanski13 - we will restore the scene branching functionality soon. None of your data is lost. I'm sorry we pushed out this new code without that feature.

@aalrich - thanks!

@vendettachrncls - what is confusing? what can we do better?

ItsAboutStyle

on 03/12/2009

...yeah how come i cant unlock any of my scenes?

SincosTann

on 03/14/2009

I s there any way I can choose to use the old style? I think the new program shoul be optional. I dont like it at all, but many people here do, so i think there should be a setting to use the old program.

brad

on 03/16/2009

@kazanski13 the branching interface is proving a bit more complicated than I remembered, but hopefully we'll have it out in the next day or two. In this new version, you'll be able to clone the current scene into your branch, which will make it a lot more useful (in other words, you could make a branch of an existing scene and rewrite it completely while preserving the original version).

@ItsAboutStyle it looks like we have a bug with scene locking; the fix will go out with the branching interface (and a bunch of other fixes and improvements) in the next day or two.

@SincosTann what about the old interface did you like? If you go to your writing preferences (the cog in your screenplay toolbar) you'll see the first option is "Show submit/cancel/switch buttons (classic mode)". With that box selected, the writing interface is closer to the old style. We're going to add a preference for the background color of the page, so if you want you can change it to a lighter grey or white.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

SincosTann

on 03/16/2009

This isn't an attack on you or the design, but personally, I don't like it. At all. If I wanted it to look like a word proscessor, I would have used Microsoft Word. I like plotbot because it's layed out and organized and really really easy to use. Now it's not only confusing, but slow. It looks like alot of people like the new plotbot, so I think there should be the option to use this new program or to switch to the old one exactly the way it was.

SincosTann

on 03/16/2009

I can't see a "new element" button. I can't see the "Home-Screenplay-Forum-Notes" tabs from the screenplay, or any of the usual stuff at the top and bottom of the page. When I finnaly did figure out how to create a new element, I wrote in it and hit enter (there was not submit button) and it said there was an error and it couldnt be saved.

brad

Edited on 03/18/2009. Posted on 03/18/2009.

@kazanski13 the branching interface is now live. You should be able to view your old branches and create new ones. (You can also change the background color of the screenplay tool)

@ItsAboutStyle - the scene locking bug should be fixed now.

@SincosTann - in the upper right of the screenplay pages you'll see a "more" button that, when you click it, will show you a list of pages you can visit. It replaces the old tab system. We don't place an "add new element" at the bottom of the screenplay anymore--the whole bottom area is clickable to create a new element--but it is a good idea to bring that back for the "classic mode."

We'll continue to work on making this system better and easier to use, and will work to incorporate your feedback. New features aren't set in stone, and we work on making them easier to use as we get feedback.

We also released a number of smaller bug fixes and improvements as well as initial support for screenplay import, which you'll find on the home page of your projects. You can import from any format and insert your import at after any scene in your screenplay. (more on that later)

SincosTann

on 03/19/2009

this could just be something i'm doing wrong, but in any scene, i write the first element and press enter and all is well. then, i write the second and press enter and i never see it again. i also cant see any of the classic mode buttons untill i go back to edit the element that has already been written.

BaoQuyPhan

on 03/22/2009

Broken compatability. I'm using IE6 at work when I have downtime and can't install another browser on this computer. I can sucessfully click on an element to edit it but I cannot save it at all. The background does not appear at all and random text turns white making it impossible to see on the white background. I have tried turning on classic mode in my settings but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. An option to completely going back to the old mode would be nice if compatability cannot be established with such an old browser.

SincosTann

on 03/22/2009

right. and it doesnt give a notice like "failed to save". it just refreshes like nothing's wrong and waits for another change

brad

on 03/26/2009

@SincosTann and @BaoQuyPhan - we fixed the bug with easy mode and added a bit of code that should help make sure you don't have any old code cached in your browser (which might have been causing some problems). We also fixed the IE6 rendering problem. I'm not sure that editing will work yet; IE6 is difficult to support but we will look into it.

We're going to continue to improve the usability of the application and it will keep getting better!

There are 21 messages in this thread.
繁體中文 | Deutsch | English | Español | Français | suomi | עברית | Italiano | 日本語 | Nederlands | Pirate | Polski | Português | русском | Svenska |